During the night I spend my time in the hotel lobby with two people who work at the hotel, Rantsho and Ellen who share their knowledge and time with me. That night we were visited by two Afrikaans men who wanted to spend some time talking with us, however, they were upset that Ellen did not know Afrikaans, although it is not required of her and he does not know the local language of Tzaneen. It was shocking to find that they were rather upset by her lack of knowledge of Afrikaans and shows the true nature of Afrikaans here who are not yet ready to relinquish the power that they had during the Apartheid.
Back at my hotel Mary and Roman and I spent some time talking about the local culture and I spent time playing Glee music for them which they loved. They also wanted to learn how to ballroom dance and so the few steps I knew I took some time to share it with them, and they tried to teach me more local dance moves. The interesting turn of the conversation was when we talked about how many men cheat on their wives in South Africa, and they told me that about 95% of the male population cheat because their grandfathers used to have many wives and so now they believe it is OK to be with many men. They said that there are not many men who are available in South Africa so the women feel that they must accept the cheating or never have a family. Mary told me that she felt that woman must just accept it instead of getting anxious about it or “having a heart attack”. Spending time talking with them gave me more insight into what it is like here in South Africa, they promised that they would take me to their local villages so that I could learn more.